Friday 8 March 2013

I'm so handsome in China

the other day a disturbing thing happened. I was walking outside the library when suddenly from a distance I thought I heard someone calling out to me. Hey 帅哥 (shuai ge), i quickly spun around only to sheepishly realize the caller was after someone else. You see, 帅哥 (shuai ge) means handsome guy in English. 

Now before you start thinking I absolutely love myself,  let me explain. Shuai ge, in China, is used by females (and sometimes males) to address a man you don't know, for example, pulling someone aside on the street and asking for directions.  It's like using ''Mate'' in Australia or England, or ''Man?'' in the States. (actually i don't know what they use in the States). I've heard it used in many different situations, even in customer service in some shops. 

So I've become accustomed to being addressed as shuai ge (handsome guy), and have pretty much taken it up as my calling card. As such whenever someone says shuai ge I turn my head to check if someone is calling to me. So it's not the case that I've somehow convinced myself that I'm hot. It's very strange and unnerving, because even though I know all this I'll still impulsively turn whenever someone calls out shuai ge. It must be that every guy in a room turns his head when shuai ge is called.

When I initally arrived in China I  remember the first time I went out shopping in a market and everyone calling me shuai ge. I thought to myself damn I must be having an awesome hair day, or that beauty standards in China are pretty low since I never considered myself as model material. I also thought the women in these markets were pretty lonely and quite direct with their flirtateous advances. Alas, It didn't take me long to notice  all the other male patrons were getting the same shuai ge treatment (even the butt-ugly ones), and thus the wind was quickly taken out of my sails.

I don't know at what age you stop being referred to as shuai ge, and start to be called xian sheng (mr) or shu shu (uncle). I've noticed they don't call elderly men handsome  guys. Perhaps it's a little disrespectful, being such an empty platitude and all. And if i walked around with a wife latched to my arm and a small child bouncing in front of me, what then?  It seems like such a trite title, and I know I would struggle calling every guy shuai ge, but perhaps if you don't do it the guy will be highly offended. ''what, am i that ugly that you can't even bring yourself to lie to me?"

Conversely, women are referred to as 美女 (mei nv) or beautiful girl. 

1 comment:

  1. You have a great sense of humor Al. No wonder I used to like chatting to you in the school grounds.

    ReplyDelete